College Student Hailed As Hero After Saving 80-Year-Old Woman From Burning Home

© Provided by CBS Baltimore Tre Williams

By CBS Baltimore

A Maryland college student is being hailed as a hero after saving a woman from her burning home in Anne Arundel County Wednesday.

Family was back at the home Thursday to clean up and go through some of the things inside.

This could have been much worse, if not for the help of a stranger walking by.

The charred facade of Gail Johnston’s Glen Burnie home is hard to miss when driving by, but it’s what happened at the back door Wednesday afternoon that has plenty of people calling Tre Williams a hero.

“I yelled to the fire department, ‘Somebody’s in the house,'” Williams said. “But it was loud, like the sirens, and there was a lot of cars driving by.”

The college student was walking home from class when he noticed smoke in the air and a fire brewing at the home on Quarterfield Rd.

Then he realized the 80-year-old woman inside needed his help.

“So at that time, that’s when I jumped over the fence and went in and opened the door for her. She was struggling to get the door open,” Williams said.

He helped Johnston to safety as fire crews tamed the flames at the front of her longtime home.

Johnston’s daughter says her mom is currently fighting cancer, struggles with COPD, and uses oxygen.

She calls Williams’ heroic rescue the act of a real-life guardian angel.

“So he just happened to be here,” Carleen Perez, Johnston’s daughter, said. “I believe the Lord put him here for that reason. He was impressed to do it, and he did it.”

Johnston is now recovering at her daughter’s home.

Williams says he was acting on pure instinct and living out the values his mom taught him as a kid.

“I keep telling everybody, I don’t think I’m a hero or anything,” he said. “It’s just, I did something I wish anybody else would have done.”

Johnston’s family met Williams Wednesday. They gave him a big hug and were able to tell him thank you, and tell his mom — who is very proud — just how thankful they are.

Anne Arundel County Fire Department officials say the fire originated in a mulch bed and was caused by smoking materials.

Follow @WJZ on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook


Note: If you think this story need more information or correction, feel free to comment below your opinion and reaction.

Entertainment,22,Fashion,3,Good News,318,Health,48,Interesting,3,Internet,16,Lifestyle,39,Offbeat,404,People,188,Sports,20,Technology,15,Travel,4,Weird,244,
Diverse News: College Student Hailed As Hero After Saving 80-Year-Old Woman From Burning Home
College Student Hailed As Hero After Saving 80-Year-Old Woman From Burning Home
Diverse News
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Read More Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share. STEP 2: Click the link you shared to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy